The past few years have seen an increase in off road vehicles on the western side of Cape Breton Island. It became apparent that residents were becoming enthused with off road trail riding, but would like to have access to better trail systems. We asked ourselves how we could obtain better all terrain access to our beautiful mountains, rugged landscapes, picturesque shorelines and other hidden gems?
So, meetings were held in the spring of 2016 to assess whether there was an interest in forming an ATV club. There was — a committee was formed and work got underway to become a registered organization. Cape Breton West ATV Association (CBWESTATV Association) was incorporated in June of 2016 and partnered with the ATV Association of Nova Scotia (ATVANS) that same year.
Why we partnered with ATVANS?
- Help promoting and increasing ATV recreational activities.
- They provide safety training and promotion of responsible riding practices.
- Encouraging respect for the environment and keeping public lands open for multi-use recreation.
- Assistance in representing the interests of ATV'ers with government agencies, community groups, and the general public.
- Help in obtaining land owner usage agreements.
- Encouraging respect for enforcement agencies and assisting when needed.